International Students Application-Departmental Requirements
|Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling||Degree||Doctorate|
|Enrollment Semesters||2020 Fall|
|Language of Instruction||Program taught in English (* Program with enough English courses to meet graduation requirements)|
|Introduction||I. Educational goals|
(1) To cultivate the general knowledge of the educational psychology and counseling personnel.
(2) To cultivate the professional knowledge of counseling and career planning teachers from secondary and high schools, respectively.
(3) To cultivate the academic research and practical application ability of counseling psychology.
(4) To cultivate the academic research and practical application ability of educational psychology.
II. Department characteristics
(1) Our department provides a wide range of applied psychology foundations and educational psychology and counseling courses, allowing students opportunities to explore their career development interests. Elective courses or minor programs are encouraged for students to promote their diverse development; internship courses and supervision are provided to enhance professional competitiveness.
(2) Numerous teachers have received outstanding performance awards from the National Science Council, special outstanding talent awards, and teaching excellence awards. In addition, the quality and quantity of research teaching services in various professional fields are outstanding. Moreover, the students actively publish research papers at local and foreign academic conferences, and have won numerous outstanding postgraduate and undergraduate thesis awards.
(3) Our department actively strengthens the teaching curriculum, invests in advanced research equipment, and conducts capstone research on educational and counseling psychology. The Journal of Educational Psychology—edited by our department—is listed in the databases of the Taiwan Social Sciences Citation Index, Airiti Library, and PsycINFO of the American Psychological Association.
(4) Our department establishes short-term lecturer–student exchanges, dual degree programs, and cooperation agreements with foreign countries such as the United States, Malaysia, and Japan; invites internationally renowned professors to give lectures in Taiwan; organizes domestic and international academic seminars and other activities to cultivate students’ international vision; and promotes international academic exchanges.
(5) Our department respects students’ opinions and lecturer–student relationships are harmonious. Through the service learning course, joint efforts of students in kindergartens as well as secondary school students in adjacent school districts are promoted to cultivate students’ attitudes on social care.
|Features of Curriculum||Students’ core competencies courses:|
1. Knowledge or cognitive level
(1) Possess basic knowledge of human behavior and psychology
(2) Possess core knowledge on the curriculum
(3) Possess relevant counseling knowledge
2. Functional orientation
(1) Possess practical skills in the curriculum
(2) Possess a practical ability to provide counseling
(3) Possess psychological research ability (a professional ability index of graduate students)
3. Personal traits
(1) Possess Global vision and diverse thinking
(2) Able to respect individual differences
(3) Possess the qualities of a counselor
4. Value or ethics
(1) Possess professional ethics
(2) Possess the spirit of humanistic care
|Career Prospects||There are many job opportunities for students after graduation：|
1.School guidance: Finding employment is available in junior high schools and senior high schools. To assist the students in adapting school lives and making career choices are the main issues.
2.Guidance in Social service institution: Increasing number of opportunity are available for therapeutic workers. Counseling and supervising work are required in a lot of the social service institution, such as the Vocational Rehabilitation institution, Volunteer Service institution and children farewell institution and etc.
3.Supervising work in the industrial and commercial sectors: The demand for Personnel Administrators who plan and supervise community facilities in the industrial and commercial sectors is stronger and stronger. In addition, there are increasing numbers of job opportunity available for areas in marketing research, policy-making, advertising and vocational guidance.
|Contact Information||Ms Clare Tu / 886-2-7749-3758 / email@example.com|