|Department of English||Degree||Doctorate|
|Enrollment Semesters||2020 Fall|
- Teaching English as a Second or Other Language (TESOL)
|Language of Instruction||Program taught in English|
- Document Review
- Interview: In-person / Video-conferencing interview will be arranged.
- Weighted Score:
Document Review: 60%
- Priority Enrollment Order for Examinees with the Same Score:
First Priority: Interview.
Second Priority: Document Review.
- TESOL applicants must obtain a Master’s degree in TESOL related fields or at least two years’ teaching experience in TESOL (please provide original copy of teaching-related employment proof).
- Chinese Language Proficiency (Provide one of the following Chinese certificates):
Test of Chinese as Foreign Language, TOCFL Level - 3
Proof of at least two years of Chinese learning experience or grade report of TOCFL Level 3 equivalent or above (recommended but not required)
English Language Proficiency (Provide one of the following English score reports):
TOEFL iBT -
or any other English Proficiency Certificate with a score equivalent to above items
Literature applicants are strongly recommended to take the GRE Test.
Not required for applicants from English-speaking countries (proof required).
- Signed application form
※Please print out, sign the application forms, scan and upload it to the system.
- Two-inch passport photo
- Receipt or proof of application fee or a U.S. dollar wire transfer
- Passport/Identification and R.O.C. Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) for those holding one
※If the applicant is of foreign nationality as specified in Article 2 under the MOE Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan and possesses (or has possessed) nationality status from the Republic of China (R.O.C.), additional proof is required, such as entry and departure records for the past 6 years, a declaration form stating that they do not hold a R.O.C. household registration, Certificate of Nationality Renouncement of Republic of China or other proof of documents.
- An official financial statement
※a minimum of NTD 100,000 (or USD 3,000) is required. Please select one of the following ways of submission:
(1)An official financial statement issued within the past three months from a financial institution.
(2)If the financial statement provided is not under the name of the applicant, please submit (a) the sponsor’s financial statement (b) a financial guarantee from the sponsor
(3)The proof showing the applicant have been awarded full scholarship.
- Diploma of the highest academic degree
- One translated copy of the applicant’s highest diploma in English or Chinese
- One translated copy of the applicant’s complete transcripts (for ALL years of study) in English or Chinese
※Eligible applicants who graduate at the same year as the admission to National Taiwan Normal University must submit transcripts for each academic semester and the ‘Deposition of Admission Documents for National Taiwan Normal University International Applicants’, and are not required to submit the diploma during application. The diploma and transcripts for each academic semester must be submitted upon registration (Diplomas or degree certificates from China are required to have the documents notarized by relevant authorities.); otherwise, the applicants admitted to NTNU will have their admission revoked.
※Applicants applying with diplomas or degree certificates from China are required to have the documents notarized by relevant authorities. If authentication cannot be completed by the application deadline, please submit degree certificate, complete transcript and a signed Deposition of Admission Documents.
※Admitted students must submit the original ones for review to the Office of International Affairs on the day of enrollment.
※NTNU holds the right to request applicants to have their degree certificate or diploma authenticated by the ROC diplomatic missions should NTNU find any problem in the applicants’ documents.
- Language proficiency certificate: Please refer to the "Language proficiency".
- Two recommendation letter(s): Two recommendation letters including one from a referee that can properly evaluate the applicant’s English language proficiency
- Study plan: Study plan in English
- Master’s thesis: Master’s thesis, or academic papers of equivalent significance, or other academic work published within the past five years. For TESOL applicants, the topic of the master’s thesis and/or the published works must be related to TESOL/TEFL.
|Notes||The applicant’s track (Literature/Linguistics/TESOL) should be specified on the applicant form.|
|Examination Date and Location|
- The location and date for Interview of the 2020 Fall Semester will be announced on the website of the department from Friday, March 20, 2020 to Friday, March 27, 2020
- The location and date for Interview of the 2021 Spring Semester will be announced on the website of the department from Monday, May 4, 2020 to Friday, May 8, 2020
- The location and date for Interview of the 2021 Fall Semester will be announced on the website of the department from Friday, November 20, 2020 to Friday, November 27, 2020
- The location and date for Interview of the 2022 Spring Semester will be announced on the website of the department from Monday, May 3, 2021 to Friday, May 7, 2021
- Admitted students are not allowed to defer admission until the next academic year.
|Introduction||Founded in 1946, with our graduate institute following in 1956, we are one of the first foreign language graduate institutes in Taiwan. In 1999, our master’s and doctoral programs were officially divided into three areas: literary studies, linguistics, and English teaching.|
The academic performance of our department has long been recognized and the three journals we publish: Concentric: Literary and Cultural Studies, Concentric: Studies in Linguistics, and English Teaching and Learning are listed as first-class journals in the THCI by the Ministry of Science and Technology and are included in a number of international journal indexes, including AHCI and Scopus. Our department recruits those with an outstanding academic record in the fields of literature, linguistics, and English teaching. Our full-time faculty includes 17 professors, 19 associate professors, 11 assistant professors, 2 lecturers, and 4 appointed language instructors.
We have many notable alumni, including four academicians in the Academia Sinica, ambassadors and interpreters in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and many successful figures in the fields of finance and technology. Additionally, many of our alumni are heavily involved in charity work. However, no matter what field our alumni strive in, what they learned in our department remains as the foundation upon which they build their success.
|Features of Curriculum||Our program not only further improves our students’ English abilities, forming a solid foundation for developing literary, cultural, linguistic and teaching research skills, but also enhances critical thinking skills. We encourage our students to develop an international outlook to help them succeed and lead in different fields.|
Our department not only cultivates students’ language abilities, but also encourages them to join interdisciplinary programs. To this end, NTNU has formed an alliance with National Taiwan University and National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, with the three schools sharing resources and allowing students to take courses across the three schools.
|Career Prospects||Graduates from our department have extensive choices. For further study, they attend graduate schools in Taiwan and abroad, and engage themselves in academic research or university teaching. Regarding employment, students regularly go on to establish careers in the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Additionally, many graduates become translators/interpreters, teachers in junior high, senior high or language schools, editors of teaching materials, administrative staff in schools, translators for documents or instruction manuals, advertising specialists, international trading specialists, or secretaries.|
|Contact Information||Ms Tzu-Yi Chiang / 886-2-7749-1806 / email@example.com|